West Basin’s free Rain Barrel Program returns in time for what will hopefully be a plentiful rainy season. Rain barrels, valued at $80 each, provide a great way to save water and reduce stormwater runoff by collecting and reusing rain water. A rainwater capture feature, such as a rain barrel, is also a requirement for West Basin’s grass replacement rebate program, which starts at $3 per square foot of grass replaced.
This year, West Basin offers residents two ways to receive free rain barrels.
Free Home Delivery – Re-Opened
After an overwhelmingly positive response from the community, the District has decided to provide additional rain barrels for the home delivery portion of the program. Reserve yours today!
- Registrations for free home delivery will be accepted on a first come first served basis.
- Deliveries will begin on Friday, December 10, 2021.
The District will also host two drive-through pick-up events in 2022.
- Pick-Up Event #1: January 29, 2022 – Edward C. Little Water Recycling Facility (El Segundo) 8AM to 11AM
- Pick-Up Event #2: February 5, 2022 – West Basin Municipal Water District Headquarters (Carson) 8AM to 11AM
To qualify for up to two (2) free rain barrels, customers must satisfy the following conditions:
- Reside in West Basin’s Service Area
- Must not have participated before and received two rain barrels
- Agree to submit a photo of your installed rain barrel(s) within 30 days of receiving them
Frequently Asked Questions & Other Resources
YouTube has a good collection of videos that explain how to set up and use a rain barrel, how to maintain your barrel, and a variety of other rain barrel-related topics. Other resources, including how to make your own rain barrel, are provided in the dropdown below
The Metropolitan Water District also offers $35 rebates for the purchase of rain barrels. More information can be found at the MWD website.
Download the Rain Barrel Progam Promotional Tool Kit.
For additional information about West Basin’s rain barrel program, including future rain barrel distribution events, continue to check www.westbasin.org/rain-barrels.