December 12, 2023
The West Basin Municipal Water District would like to wish you and yours a happy holiday season and a wonderful New Year. We thank you for helping in our mission to provide a safe and reliable supply of high-quality water to the communities we serve.
The highlights below are just few examples of our local water stars who are building sustainable and water-efficient lifestyles:
- During Governor Gavin Newsom’s challenge to achieve a 15% water conservation target during a 21-month period, West Basin retailers and citizens enjoyed significant reductions in water usage with the Palos Verdes area reducing water by 13.6%, and Inglewood, Lomita, Manhattan Beach, Malibu, and the California American Water service all exceeding the statewide average.
- The annual Water Harvest festival in mid-October welcomed approximately 1,100 participants for a family-friendly day of water education at West Basin’s water recycling facility.
- In partnership with the City of Rancho Palos Verdes, Cal Water, and the Los Angeles Fire Department, West Basin hosted a firescaping workshop for Peninsula residents on November 1, with over 20 participants joining the session including the RPV City Manager and the LA County Fire Department Battalion Chief.
- 17 new recycled water customer sites are in development and include the new LA Clippers Intuit Dome in Inglewood, the LA Chargers training facility in El Segundo, and the Palos Verdes recycled water pipeline project with seven sites along the route.
- Cumulative recycled water production for existing customers during the current fiscal year, which starts July 1, is already at approximately 11,500 acre-feet as of Oct.
- Residents received a total of 1,500 rain barrels distributed over six events during the fall season. These 55-gallon rain barrels amount to 75,000 gallons of valuable drinking water saved each time they all fill!
- West Basin was awarded a District Transparency Certificate of Excellence by the Special District Leadership Foundation (SDLF) in recognition of its outstanding efforts to promote transparency and good governance.
We celebrate our community and District achievements this year and look forward to another collaborative year in 2024!